Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ubiquitous?

I am singing in a choir.

Before that singing, I had dinner with some young women whom I actually convinced to join, young teachers (24-26ish) who are teachers at a private young women's school in Harare.

Various topics get flipped around, and later in the evening I get accused (or credited? depends on the perspective) of being "ubiquitous."

I suppose this came in reference to the fact that I ran into one of these young women at an event totally unrelated to the one I'd met her in, but still....

I've been in Harare a year plus a month, and I've been actively trying to get to know more people here, settle in a little more. A lot of my friends this past year (many, but not all) have been foreign, and have since left, leaving me with far fewer friends than I had earlier in the year. As such, I've been trying to branch out lately. I've managed a few more friends in the white Zimbabwean community, but it's hard to find people open outside of that community.

These past few weeks have been fantastic though for finding like-minded in various communities, including upcoming 50th birthday parties. Hm. I can hear your thinking.50ths? Yup. But they're cool peeps, each from different bible studies, and I'm actually really appreciative of the invitations. Going to a party every weekend, or every night of every weekend, can be done by any newcomer; getting to the point of invitation of 50th b-day celebration of your local bible study participants is something else. I LOVE getting to know the more personal details over a long tea or coffee, and with settled people that takes TIME. TIME TIME TIME. A year's weekly investment, really, is simply the beginning for those kinds of relationship and perhaps that is the better judge of how well I'm settling in than all the braai or camping invites - or lack thereof - that Harare has to offer.

No comments: